Investigation closing around Gregory Gumo as a “fresh” arrest warrant issued

Fresh arrest warrant issued on Gregory Gumo on August 26, 2015

“Fresh arrest warrant” issued on Gregory Gumo on August 26, 2015

This news was expected and it is probably now certain the investigation is closing around Gregory Gumo in the murder of Mariko Akitaya on July 28, 2015. Her  body was discovered in a cove in Koajiro Bay in Kanagawa Prefecture in the city of Miura the next morning on the 29th of July. Gregory Gumo, the 41 year-old American who is suspected in the case, was first arrested for “abandoning a body” on July 29, 2015. He was subsequently brought to the prosecutors office as suspect in the murder of Mariko Akitaya.

In this news released yesterday, it now appears that Gregory Gumo has had a “fresh arrest warrant” placed on him for the murder of Mariko Akitaya. It looks as though the police have concluded their investigation and they have all the evidence they need for a conviction in the murder of Mariko Akitaya.

This news appeared
at Kyodo News

MIURA : American man to face fresh arrest warrant in woman’s death

August 26, 2015

An American man arrested earlier this month in connection with the death of a Japanese woman whose body was found off the coast of Miura, Kanagawa Prefecture is expected to face another arrest warrant shortly, this time for killing the woman, an investigative source said Wednesday.

Gregory Gumo, 41, was arrested Aug. 6 on suspicion of dumping the body of Mariko Akitaya, a 42-year-old temp worker from Tokyo’s Meguro Ward. He has denied the charge, according to police.

After tracing the path of Gumo’s car just before the discovery of Akitaya’s body, investigators at the Misaki Police Station suspect Gumo killed [this is incorrect. If Gumo killed her some place before arriving at the cove and then it is stated later she was thrown alive into the sea, this is an inconsistency; get it right boys, which is it?] Akitaya at some place in the prefecture before dumping her body in Koajiro Bay in Miura, the source said.

Gumo is suspected of dumping the body into the sea around July 28. It was found floating 20-30 meters off the shore by a local man on the morning of July 29, according to the police.

The body of Akitaya, clad in a one-piece dress, was wrapped in a sheet and a rope attached to a concrete block piece, the police said.

The police suspect Akitaya may still have been alive when thrown into the sea as an autopsy found water in her lungs.

Gumo was stopped by police investigators at Tokyo’s Haneda airport on the evening of July 29 when he was about to leave for the United States.


© Kyodo News International, Inc., source Newswire